If you ask a room full of people what the definition of “Internet of Things” is you will most likely get a room full of different answers. Not variations of the same answer but completely different answers. So says Sam Dunn, co-founder and CEO of Robin, a company focused on making offices smarter.
Sam and his twin brother Zach have been thinking about the Internet of Things problem for a while and decided to focus on something that we all do far too often: Have meetings. Rather than spread themselves thin as the world tries to define what IoT is, they chose a niche and began using the technologies that make up the broad Internet of Things world to solve a pain we have today. Robin was born.
This episode covers some serious ground starting with the formation of the company, partnering with his twin brother, defininging a product, transitioning from a services company, finding advisors and investors and then finishing with a flurry of IoT talk.
Key takeaways from this episode. Click on the link and the video will take you to that clip
1. What is Robin? 2:55
2. How did the company emerge 3:40
3. The “Robin” experience 7:00
4. Why build it? 8:00
5. What is the benefit of using Robin? 12:00
6. Do you become the “UBER of boardrooms”? 15:00
7. What the process in building the company? 17:30
8. The funding process 19:00
9. About the transition from a services company to a product company 21:25
10. How did you meet your advisors? 22:50
11. Making money from a blog led to your first advisor 26:00
12. When did you figure out that you could work with your brother 27:50
13. Twins as a marketing tactic? 31:45
14. How did you determine who would be CEO and CTO? 33:20
15. Why is the Internet of Things a software problem? 35:30
16. Is the revenue there for software companies in IoT? 40:30
17. Will there be an IoT OS? 43:50
18. THE problem today with the Internet of Things 46:55
19. Favourite apps that Sam uses today 51:00
20. What company do you wish you founded 54:20
Transcript coming soon!
About Sam Dunn
A Boston-based entrepreneur focused on design & tech. I build products at One Mighty Roar, a company started with my twin brother, Zach.
I’m proud to work with people I learn from on a daily basis. Together we’ve built Build Internet, a popular industry blog and You Rather, a massive debate platform.
Now we’re building Robin. It’s software for your building and it makes work delightful.