Welcome to episode #129. On the show today: Facebook rumoured to be in talks to purchase Waze for $1 billion; Square set to check in to Foursquare’s neighbourhood; BlockAvenue launches to give your city a grade; Unilever goes hyper-local with rewards program; Outback Steakhouse jumps back in time to when check-ins were the rage; The VERY cool Pennies for Life campaign by Microloan; Pew enlightens us on the state of location in mobile; Plus special guest Duncan McCall, CEO of PlaceIQ.
A few announcements
– We wrote (part of) a book! The Everything Guide to Mobile Apps and it is available for order now!
– If you’d like to leave a message for us to play on the show, leave it here
Top news of the week
1. Launch of BlockAvenue (8:40)
2. Pennies For Life campaign by Microloan (15:25)
3. Will Facebook purchase Waze? (19:10)
4. Unilever working with CausePlay inside of Northgate Gonzalez Markets – the hyper local mashup (36:23)
5. Outback Steakhouse checking in to 2007 with Laps for Apps (41:22)
6. Square goes after Foursquare with recommendations (45:55)