Welcome to episode #122 of This Week in Location Based Marketing. On the show: Can Foursquare make the switch from checkins to discovery? Apple, not YouTube, awarded a patent for augmented reality on top of live video. Volkswagon makes driving more social. Microsoft testing yet another option for mobile payments this time using bluetooth and the Kinect. The most important mobile payments infographic ever, Rob’s location app fascination of the week (TWIST) and our special guest, Todd Greene, co-founder and CEO of PubNub on the emergence of real-time apps.
A few announcements
– Come see us live in San Francisco! More details can be found here.
– We wrote (part of) a book! The Everything Guide to Mobile Apps and it is available for order now!
– If you’d like to leave a message for us to play on the show, leave it here
Top news of the week
1. Foursquare tries to make the switch from checkins to discovery (12:00)
2. Apple is awarded a patent for Augmented Reality on top of live video (17:05)
3. Life360 to add their family apps to vehicles with investment from BMW + Volkswagon launches Smileage (18:22)
4. NYC subway to install touch screen map kiosks (40:45)
5. Goldrun launches Snaps App – or is it a new direction (46:00)
6. Microsoft testing new Bluetooth Low Energy payments system and Kinect (52:30)
Download the audio version here