It was just over two years ago that I had Chuck Martin on for his first episode. At that time it was in support of his first book on mobile, The Third Screen. Today he’s back and ready to talk about his second book focused on this industry, this time he is tackling the power bestowed onto the consumer in Mobile Influence: The New Power of the Consumer.
For those of you that don’t know Chuck, he is a tireless crusader for mobile – the North American version of Tomi Ahonen. He speaks, writes, curates the best mcommerce content and orchestrates leading events (the last 2 for MediaPost) all over the world. He’s busy but, you’ll soon find out, has not lost his love of this industry.
The book focuses on what he calls the “death of the traditional sales funnel” and the emergence of the new mobile shopping cycle – a 6-piece concerto that needs to be played out to truly embrace this brave new mobile world. Aside from what’s in the book (no spoilers here, go and buy the book and read it for yourself!), Chuck has a great perspective about the impact that mobile is having on the buying behaviours here and abroad and we dive into that throughout this episode. We also spend time on the opportunities where companies should be focusing on in order to truly capitalize on the mobile consumer.
High energy, intense and insanely knowledgeable, this episode is dense with material and takeaways (like what Best Buy SHOULD be doing to ensure long-term viability and our mutual loathing for banner ads) as well as forward-looking thoughts on the likes of Google Glasses and wearable computing. We even tackle a little existentialism and ponder (out loud) the question of whether or not we are in the middle of the age of enlightenment or innovation. Seriously.
Stop what you are doing and watch this from start to finish – then grab the book and do something.
Here is a quick reference of what we covered in the show. Click on the link and the video will take you to that clip
1. Who is Chuck Martin? 2:05
2. How do you write relevant content for the right audience of now? 6:40
3. How much has changed between the two books on mobile 11:00
4. Does it shock you that businesses aren’t embracing mobile? 13:40
5. What country is truly advanced in mobile 15:40
6. What’s wrong with banner ads? 18:00
7. Is mobile about customer retention or acquisition? 20:15
8. What’s the big thing in mobile right now? 21:00
9. What is the problem “Mobile Influence” solves? 23:30
10. Where is the exciting part where companies can play in 28:30
11. What is the biggest opportunity for retail stores because of mobile 32:07
12. Why is physical location important today? 33:55
13. What does mobile do to physical stores? 37:55
14. What do you hope happens as a result of this book? Retailers, steal this strategy! 42:55
15. What emerging trends are you seeing around the world? 49:00
16. What is the first step to move business into mobile? 54:00
17. How do you feel about Google Glass? 62:30
18. Is this the age of enlightenment or innovation? 66:30
About Chuck Martin
Chuck Martin is a New York Times business best-selling author, CEO of Mobile Future Institute and the Editor of the MediaPost mCommerce Daily, where he writes the daily MobileShopTalk column. Martin has been a leading pioneer in the digital interactive marketplace for more than a decade.
Martin’s new book, MOBILE INFLUENCE: The New Power of the Consumer, illustrates the impact mobile is going to have and the future of the market. The Mobile Shopping Life Cycle involves six stages, each thriving with opportunities for marketers to engage with m-powered consumers and to influence their choices. Some of the most innovative leaders in the mobile field share their experiences and success stories as the best way to employ mobile influence is demonstrated.