Welcome to This Week in Location Based Marketing where we rehash the news that matters in the location based marketing world.
In a truly international episode we highlight the very innovating British Petroleum using Navteq to drive (literally) gas sales, Boingo and Bango make plays – one with the Westfield Group, the other with Facebook, Dwolla closes cash, groupon makes a buy and we both question the need for Klout + Scott Rankine talks up the yet-to-be released Syzzle.me. Phew, big show!
1. BP partners with Navteq in South Africa to drive gas sales
2. Boingo partners with the Westfield Group to bring WiFi to their malls
3. Duofactor.com launches location-based authentication systems
4. Loc-Aid brings tracking by phone number to life360.com
5. Facebook signs deal with Bango – mobile commerce enabled ads coming next?
Product of the Week
Syzzle: With special guest Scott Rankine(30:35)
1. Dwolla closes a $5M series B
2. Groupon buys Adku
3. Klout acquires Blockboard
Resource of the Week
The Local Merchant: Inside the Minds and Motivations of the Business Owners Driving a $43 Billion Advertising Market (47:05)
Can’t see the video? Click here