It is time for another look at the impact that mobile has had on the radio industry. Here is an industry that has been kicked out of the kitchen, the bedroom and the office and now clings to their last dedicated spot – the car dash – but seems to be having a resurgence in the mobile world. With streaming music services like Spotify, Pandora and Rdio and streaming radio services like TuneIn, radio is in the middle of its greatest transformation.
Here to talk about where the industry is heading is Patrick Reynolds, the former Chief Strategy Officer at Triton Digital (acquired by Vector Capital after the recording of this episode). This is Patrick’s fourth tour of duty on UNTETHER.tv and there is a reason for that. The insight and clarity he brings to us about what is happening to “new radio” and the influence that mobile is having on it is second to none.
Key takeaways from this episode. Click on the link and the video will take you to that clip
1. What is Triton 3:40
2. What is the state of radio in 2015 6:20
3. How does radio make money? 14:30
4. What about Taylor Swift v. Spotify? 20:30
5. Is radio holding on to the wrong business model? 24:20
6. Why aren’t radio stations looking at new forms of content creation? 32:30
7. What are some of the biggest controversies in radio from the last year? 38:00
8. YouTube IS the radio 42:00
9. What technology is going to have a big impact on radio and content distribution 46:00
Transcript coming soon!
iTunes Audio iTunes Video Soundcloud
About Patrick Reynolds
My early career was dedicated to developing the most impactful means of reaching the most people. Today I am dedicated to developing the most efficient means of reaching the right people via smart technology. I have contributed articles on this topic to Forbes, TechCrunch, and VentureBeat among others. I’ve spoken at CES, NAB, and SxSW.