Episode #437: The 9 skills you need to launch your app – with OOOMF co-founder Mikael Cho
What does it take to launch an app? We all know the value of mixing an incredible idea with a great software engineer and innovative and intuitive UI/UX but that does not ensure success does it? No. Launching an app means wearing multiple hats and being able to stretch to overcome incredible obstacles.
In a follow-up to our previous episode (From noodles and hot sauce to funding in 9 weeks – with OOOMF co-founder Mikael Cho) with Mikael Cho of OOOMF, I brought him back to discuss the 9 key skills everyone needs to have in order to give your app launch a chance. Some of these may surprise you – like becoming an icon designer or movie producer – but listening to the reasoning Mikael offers will make these skills make sense to you.
Giving yourself a competitive advantage when launching an app is imperative and what Mikael and his team have created at LaunchThisYear.com could make the difference for your labour of love. Check the episode out and then get over to their site to get moving in the right direction.
Here is a quick reference of what we covered in the show. Click on the link and the video will take you to that clip
1. Why are these the essential skills for releasing an app 1:30
2. Background on the process of developing LaunchThisYear.com 2:30
3. Step 1: App Idea Creator 3:52
4. How do you validate an idea 5:25
5. Step 2: Market Investigator 8:00
6. Step 3: Prototype Inventor 10:35
7. Step 4: Become an App Icon Designer 12:48
8. Why is designing a great icon so important? 15:30
9. Step 5: Become a mobile designer 16:40
10. Step 6: Become an app producer 19:48
11. How do developers decide if they should outsource or not 20:40
12. Step 7: Become a video producer 22:30
13. What are the key things that need to be in a trailer video? 24:08
14. Step 8: Become a media kingpin 27:50
15. Step 9: Become an app store detective 31:58
16. How long did it take you to go through these 9 skills? 33:53
About Mikael Cho
Mikael is the founder of ooomf, a Montreal-based web company building the future of social app discovery. Prior to ooomf, Mikael co-founded 2 web companies. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in Psychology.