Daily Mobile Minute #102: What apps you haven’t decided on pave the way to opportunity

I have made decisions on 80% of the apps I use for daily activity from my iPhone – they are the installed base and it would take a revolution to remove them from my daily routines. The other 20% is where the opportunities are for developers out there – fill a need, get my business. My 2 biggest openings are detailed here – what are yours?

This episode is brought to you by:

Smartr Contacts
Xobni, Smartr Inbox, and Smartr Contacts automatically find all the people with whom you’ve ever exchanged emails, calls, or SMS messages. They instantly provide a full view of each contact, complete with their photo, job title, company details, and email history — as well as updates from LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.




About the author

Rob Woodbridge

I'm Rob, the founder of UNTETHER.tv and I've spent 14 years immersed in the mobile and pervasive computing world. During this great time I've helped some of the most innovative companies grow their business through mobile. If you are in need of a mobile business advisor or coach, connect with me here to get things rolling.

  • Dude, it’s called Evernote.

  • I use Evernote but it is too cumbersome to be a simple task manager. Takes too long to load, too long to find stuff so it mostly becomes a black hole of content that I will never go back to look at. I need stupid simple…

  • I get what you are saying 100% Rob, I love these little apps that people make but they need to find a better way to integrate them into the OS. For me Evernote is nice, but what would make it 5x better would be that it auto starts with my OS and integrates into my tasks list of my BB or iPhone so that you keep using the native clients but you are just changing the engine behind them. 

    But I think the problem is not the developers but the fact that our ecosystems are so different from one device to the next. They have to choose a standard so that it works the same across all devices. In certain OS’ you can dig right in but others are closed and wont let you to integrate that deep. Stuff like this must just make developers mad and crazy when developing apps

    So until Mobile OS’ allow for more customization like replacing the native task manager with a different one or allows both to merge I think this problem will exist forever. I think RIM calls these Supper Apps 

  • Pingback: Mobile Morning Coffee – BlackBerry 10 screenshots, Apple on Foxconn + the buttonless app | UNTETHER.tv()

  • No argument about the need to integrate closely to the OS. Good developers understand that they can’t create a homogenous experience across OS’s by reducing the functionality of the perfect app just in order to make it fit in each. Companies like Instagram make it work on one platform before moving it to the next. I like this approach – but that’s because I use an iPhone and it is where devs go to develop first 🙂

/* ]]> */